135 S 6th Ave
Oddfellows Hall (24/29)
Oddfellows Hall…135 South 6th Avenue…Now Downtown Kitchen and Etherton Gallery
Oddfellows, a group dedicated to community service, have been active in Tucson since 1881. They built this two-story Oddfellows Hall in 1919 as a meeting place and social club. The lower floor was historically rented to automobile related businesses. The upper level served as a gathering place for lodge members and also housed one of the largest and arguably best dance floors in Tucson. From 1947 to 1957, the group opened up the Hall to those with dance fever. Members would stash their Oddfellow trappings and roll up the carpet to reveal the hardwood dance floor. As many as 150 couples paid as much as $1.25 to jitterbug and swing on weekend nights. The Odd Fellows moved from this location in 1973. Today, the ground floor is occupied by Downtown Kitchen, one of the restaurants owned by internationally acclaimed chef, Janos Wilder. The second story is home to the well-known Etherton Gallery.
Continue north to Broadway Blvd. Turn right (east). Walk one block to 5th Ave.