115 N Church Ave
Historic Pima County Court House (13/29)
Historic Pima County Court House…115 N. Church Street
Built in 1929, this Tucson jewel was also designed by Architect Roy Place. The Spanish Colonial Revival courthouse has many characteristics of that style: low‑pitched red tiled roof, arches, plastered walls, elaborate ornamentation around doorways, doors flanked by pilasters, arched post‑and‑lintel type portals and balconies.
The Court House is U-shaped with two wings connected by an arcade with bracketed beams forming a quadrangle. The entry, from the street as well as the courtyard, is called churrigueresque. According to wikipedia, Churrigueresque refers to a Spanish Baroque style of elaborate sculptural architectural ornamentation, which emerged as a manner of stucco decoration in Spain in the late 17th century. It was used up until about 1750, marked by extreme, expressive and florid decorative detailing, normally found above the entrance on the main facade of a building.
Notice the cast ornamentation on the balconies. The most prominent feature of the building is its elegant blue‑tile dome, which tops the central tower. The base of the tower is octagonal with a carved parapet decorated with finials. On top of the dome is a copper lantern.
Continue north on Church St. Turn left on Alameda St. and right on Court Avenue.